It’s Pancake Day, whoop whoop! I get a pancake, you get a pancake, everyone gets a pancake! Haha.
Okay, okay before you begin wondering what correlation there is between fitness month and pancakes, firstly you must understand the importance of balance – cheat days are okay; they give you something to work on. Convincing enough? Secondly, a good fraction of the ingredients are healthy options. *Smirks*
I love being innovative and experimental with food. Coming across the Japanese styled pancakes, I knew I had to give them a try. Not only that, but be creative with it. They are no flat pancakes, they triple in size and are oh so fluffy. Why have one when you can have three…in one.
Feeding two (depending on how greedy fluffy you’d like to get) with 30minutes making time, this recipe if for Chocolate and Blueberry stuffed Japanese Pancake.
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 Cup Plain Flour
½ Cup Ground Almond
¼ Cup Dark Chocolate
2 Large Eggs
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Blueberries
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Ground Spice
½ Tsp Baking Soda
S T E P S
- In a blender, add milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt and ground spice; blend until mixture is smooth. After which, add flour, ground almond, baking soda. Blend once again, until the latter ingredients are well incorporated and form a smooth batter.
- Oil ring moulds. Also add a tablespoon of oil to a pan and heat on medium to low heat. Place your moulds on the pan and fill it half way with the pancake batter. Place some blueberries and chocolate cookies in it; add some more pancake batter to cover the stuffing.
Don’t overfill the mould, as it will rise.
- Place a lid on the pan and allow cooking for about five minutes – till bubbles begin to form on the surface. Using a spatula, flip onto the other side and allow to cook for a further five minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
- When ready, carefully detach mould from pancake on a plate. Repeat the whole process as necessary.
- Serve with additional blueberries, chocolate chips and some strawberries with maple syrup.
- O tanoshimi to yōki ni narimasu!
What I love about this recipe is the element of surprise it has to it. The blueberry-chocolate combination is great, as one complements the other beautifully. The pancake also does retain its fluffiness and isn’t overpowered by the stuffing.
So here you have it, a Chocolate and Blueberry stuffed Japanese Pancake. I hope these steps are helpful, and the pancake, endearing. If you do try it out, please share it with me, also use the hashtag #FunmiRecipe. Would love to see what you came up with.
Be Right Back,